FIRST STOP OF INDOCHINA BACKPACKING: DANANG VIETNAM.
After my meditation retreat in Thailand, I flew to Danang to meet my friends who are already there.
Da Nang is a coastal city in central Vietnam known for its sandy beaches and history as a French colonial port. Da Nang is popular for the Golden Bridge located in Ba Na Hills, Marble Mountains, My Khe Beach, Dragon Bridge, Cham Museum, Haivan Pass.
On our first day we rented a car from our hotel worth, 500k VND . We went to Marble Mountains – it’s a cluster of five marble and limestone hills located in Ngũ Hành Sơn District, south of Da Nang city in Vietnam. The five mountains are named after the five elements: Kim (metal), Thuy (water), Moc (wood), Hoa (fire) and Tho (earth). The only mountain accessible for public is the Thuy (water).
The Marble Mountain is a must-see in Danang, there are caves, hidden pagodas, a hiking trail and a 360 view of the city. There’s an elevator going up and down but if you are up for an adventure and if you have more time, you can hike up to the top.
Tips for Marble Mountains
- Wear comfortable slippers that doesn’t slip. The caves are a bit slippery.
- Wear hiking clothes. I was wearing a dress when we went up there and because of our wardrobe situation, we were not able to really explore all the sites up there.
- Bring water! Stay hydrated.
- Use the elevator if you are in a hurry.
- There are a lot souvenirs at the starting point of the mountains. I bought a jade roller there for only 100,000VND.